As the best substitute for folic acid, levomefolate calcium is mainly used to treat diseases caused by folic acid deficiency. So do you know what other uses of levomefolate calcium are in addition to this function? What are its side effects? And what is the difference between it and folic acid? In this article, Nature Micron will answer these questions in detail.
Now, let’s get started!
What is levomefolate calcium?
Levomefolate calcium is the calcium salt of L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, which belongs to the vitamin folic acid family (vitamin B9, folic acid) and is the coenzyme form of folic acid. Calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate is the naturally occurring salt methyl derivative form of folic acid. It is the most biologically active and functional form of folic acid, a substitute for folic acid, is easier to absorb than ordinary folic acid, and is a form that the body can directly use. It is often used in dietary supplements, fortified foods, and medications to address folate deficiencies, support pregnancy, and assist in the treatment of certain diseases.
What are levomefolate calcium uses?
In addition to treating diseases caused by folic acid deficiency, levomefolate calcium is also used in the treatment of many other diseases and scientific research. The main contents are as follows.
- Patients with folate deficiency are used to increase folate levels in the body. For example, folic acid deficiency is caused by insufficient dietary intake, malabsorption, alcoholism, etc.
- Levomefolate calcium helps reduce some of the side effects of methotrexate, such as mouth sores and gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Studies have shown that levomefolate calcium can treat cardiovascular disease and advanced cancers, such as breast and rectal cancer.
- They are used in molecular biology, pharmacology, and other scientific research.
- Involved in various methylation reactions, DNA and RNA synthesis, production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, etc. It can also help the production of red blood cells and enhance the body’s ability to transport oxygen.
- Provide pregnant women with adequate folic acid during pregnancy, which contributes to the normal growth and development of the fetus.
What are levomefolate calcium side effects?
Levomefolate calcium may also produce minor side effects in some special cases, so you should be careful when using levomefolate calcium.
Excessive intake of levomefolate calcium may cause nausea, poor appetite, difficulty sleeping, feelings of depression or over-arousal, and bloating.
- Nausea or upset stomach: Some people may experience mild gastrointestinal upset, such as nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, or diarrhea.
- Anaphylaxis: Very rare side effect. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling of the face, tongue, or throat, severe dizziness, or trouble breathing.
- Headache and Dizziness: Headache is a possible side effect, although it is uncommon. Some people may also feel slightly dizzy.
- Sleep disturbances and agitation: Some people may experience difficulty sleeping after taking levomefolate calcium. and symptoms such as increased irritability nervousness unusual tiredness or weakness.
Levomefolate calcium vs. Folic acid
Finally, let’s take a look at the specific differences between levomefolate calcium and folic acid. Although levomefolate calcium and folic acid are the same functional compounds, they also have many differences. The following is the specific content:
The molecular formula of levomefolate calcium is C20H27CaN7O6, and the molecular formula of folic acid is C19H19N7O6.
The structure of levomefolate calcium:
The structure of folic acid:
Absorption and utilization:
Levomefolate calcium (5-MTHF): A naturally occurring compound found in food that is directly absorbed and utilized by the body.
Folic acid: Folic acid is often found in supplements and fortified foods. It must be converted into 5-MTHF in the body before it can be used.
The manufacturing process of levomefolate calcium is complex, making it more expensive. Folic acid is usually sold in various pharmacies and is cheap.
In the end
Levomefolate calcium has great advantages in treating certain diseases and quickly supplementing folic acid, but its manufacturing process is complicated. Natural Micron has carefully developed levomefolate calcium for many years and can provide you with a large number of high-purity, high-quality products. Compare and provide preferential prices. Therefore, when you have any needs, please feel free to contact us for consultation.
For more detailed information about levomefolate calcium please see this page.